View Single Post
Old 10-23-2007, 06:34 PM

Default Re: value betting rivers

PJ,

Haven't read the other posts yet, but I think a primary diff between limit and nl is the recognition of hands that are worth three streets of value.

In limit holdem you tend to not know exactly how many bets you can get in vs a given opponent until after he pays you off. Also, when you run into nasty surprises you're generally still in a position to see another card or just showdown in spots like this.

In nl though, you have to consider right off the bat whether you have three streets of value in your hand. You're clearly considering relative stack sizes well, but I don't think you've melded that with the three streets of play in the nl format here.

--the specific limit line you're looking at is a villain checkraise on the turn or river - which in a NL situation ends up equating to a shove--

when the flop comes down giving you middle pair with a bd draw on a way drawy board, you've got a hand that's not going to be worth three streets of value unless it improves.

It will be worth one to 2 streets of value UI though.

I personally play this hand by checking through the flop. The structure of your game is such that stacks are short and so shoves should be frequent, and we don't really want our villain making good shove decisions. If he has a draw on that board and we cont bet then he can checkraise shove a lot of hands correctly and put us into some very awkward spots.

If you check the flop through though, you can make a lot of good decisions on the turn. If villain checks then you can bet for value. If he bets into you, you can make a read on the strength of his hand and either call or shove depending on your read. If villain check/calls the turn then you have a much easier river vb. If villain donks the turn and then checks the river you have the same situation.

as played you have to check the river through because villain's going nowhere and it's hard to stack off with a worse hand.

--as an aside, I tend to check through a lot of J8,J9, and JT flops in raised pots because of how many coldcalling hands pick up a pair or a draw on those boards and are itching to make moves. It also allows me to play my draws more aggressively on the turn because it looks like a slowplay when I put action in there after not cont-betting. These days, I almost need a read to cont bet that board with 80% of my pfr hands.--