View Single Post
Old 10-23-2007, 04:25 PM

Default Re: In the case against religious theism, what is so damning...

[ QUOTE ]
I'd say read the bible for yourself. Don't let that guy or science be stumbling blocks for you. Probably want a study guide type bible that helps you understand things better. It would have footnotes and things to help you understand ancient history and traditions. The bible is pretty amazing. Its slow going at first but the more you read it, the more the interrelationships make sense. Its a unique book.

[/ QUOTE ]

You will find that most of the non-believers on this board have read the Bible. Your suggestion that people read the Bible is typically naive of you. Most of us here have read the Bible. I believe most of the people here were raised in religious families. We were raised with the Bible and have come to the conclusion that it is false.

[ QUOTE ]
The bible is pretty amazing.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a matter of opinion. To me its interesting because of its role in history. I actually don't think its that interesting a read in itself. Much of the Bible is completely unreadable. Quite a bit of it is laughable if you consider that there are people nowadays who are believe in strict literal interpretations.

If you remove all the history of the religion, its use in governing, wars, etc. If you just had the Bible as a book to be read and judged... very few would read it. And any publisher would get an editor in there to clean it up.

Though I can't admit to having read it, I've been told the Koran is a more 'beautiful' piece of work. And for 'fun reading', the Greek Gods are far more interesting.