View Single Post
Old 10-23-2007, 03:41 PM

Default Re: How good are pitchers compared to the average Joe

pitcher BA is higher than .100 too. Closer to .200, my guesstimate would be .185. The thing to remember about AL pitchers is that (depending on MiLB league) this may be the first time they have not gone to the plate every time they take the mound. Also, in HS and sometimes college these star pitchers are all-around star players who will play another position when not pitching. These pitchers may have been the best batters on their teams as well. It is the MiLB and MLB system that has let their skills atrophy in combination with their lack of experience facing big league pitching (70-90 AB per yer for starting NL pitchers). However they are still gifted athletes with good hand-eye coordination.

Comparing them to the average joe, you will find that MLB pitchers have better hand-eye, more strength, more bat-swinging experience, and more experience facing big league pitching. Honestly, if I (played baseball up until 9th grade, but enjoy raquetball once a week) were given 100 ABs vs. Doug Davis I'd consider myself lucky to get 3 hits. Even an unimpressive hurler like Davis would be throwing curveballs the likes of which I've never seen with velocity that is equally new to me. My expectation would be 0-1 hits in 100 AB. Given 1000 ABs to adapt, that number starts to rise.