View Single Post
Old 10-23-2007, 01:35 PM

Default Re: Complete loss of sex drive because of antidepressants...

[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure the reason we see so many responses from people who've taken anti-depressants is because they have the strongest opinions on the subject - not that a huge portion of 2p2 users are on them.

I've been on a dozen anti-depressants and mood stabilizers over my life. The last one I was on was Lexapro, which gave me sexual problems like you mentioned. Ever since then, even months after discontinuing usage, it's become difficult to sustain an erection - but not even close to as difficult as when on Lexapro.

I haven't had health care since January and just started a new job with a successful company. My benefits (with a decent health plan) don't begin until February. So basically I'm putting off taking care of myself until then. I'm in enough debt as is. I probably need to go back on some form of meds and god I hope Lexapro didn't manage to permanently make it more difficult for me to sustain erections - I hope it's only psychological.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is my understanding, and my experience from patients I've treated, that sexual functioning returns after the SSRI washes out of the system. I don't know your situation, of course, but I would be very surprised to hear of sexual dysfunction as a continuing side effect of Lexapro this long after discontinuation. In fact, I've never heard of this before (not to say that it can't happen).

As an aside, loss of sexual functioning is worth checking out with your MD.