View Single Post
Old 10-23-2007, 12:59 PM

Default Re: EDF Cooking Contest--Pumpkin Challenge

Entree: Wild Sea Bass with Pumpkin Sauce, Pumpkin Seeds, Hazlenuts, and Pumpkin Chips (2!)

While the winner of the appetizer was the pumpkin polenta cakes, here it easily was the sauce. Since we wanted to try something a little different and cook fish, our original intention was to make this into a broth. The plan was to err on the side of adding too little chicken broth, because more broth can always be added but not taken away. So when the mixture hit the blender, it was closer to the consistency of a sauce. I tasted the sauce and it was really good, so I decided to abandon the idea of the broth and leave it as is. Thinking back, I wish I would have stuck with the plan and thinned it out a bit, but I don't think it was a huge mistake to keep it a sauce. If anything, it would have made the plating a little more appealing I think. As it was, the sauce still took on a really surprising lightness and spiciness. It did not overwhelm the fish, which was the number one goal I guess.

Pumpkin Seeds

Used the same preparation as in the scallop dish, but decided to serve then plain this time. I was hoping that they would add a little texture without competing with the flavors already in the dish.

Pumpkin Chips

I really messed these up, which is such a shame becuase the couple that were not burned tasted great. Unfortunately I got distracted by the TV and ended up burning all but two. The preparation relatively simple though. I cut a chunk out of the pumpkin after it had been in the oven for about 30 minutes or so. I then placed this piece in the freezer to harden so that it would be easier to make very thin cuts. Last, I double fried the pieces and tossed with salt and pepper.

Pumpkin Broth (Sauce)

Saute 1 diced onion and a couple of cloves of garlic in butter until softened. Add 2 cups or so of pumpkin puree and stir to coat (2-3 minutes). Add a generous amount of honey and cook for a couple more minutes. Add 2 cups of chicken stock or water (more if you want to make a broth) and let simmer for 5-10 minutes. Puree until smooth. Adjust seasoning if necessary.

Wild Sea Bass

Seasoned with salt, pepper, nutmeg, and allspice. Seared on high heat to brown, then transferred to a 400 degree oven to finish.

Spoon the sauce onto the plate, and top with the sea bass. Sprinkle pumpkin seeds, hazelnuts, and pumpkin chips around. Garnish with basil.