View Single Post
Old 10-23-2007, 12:54 PM

Default Re: 10-20 QQ vs. UTG limp rr

[ QUOTE ]
Jay starts the hand with 2100 in a 10-20 game. This is a bit of an awkard stack size UTG for AA-QQ + AK to make an initial raise. You can raise it 4-5xBB, hit top pair/over pair on the flop, bet 75% pot on the flop, bet 75% pot on the turn and still potentially face pot-sized heat out of position on the river with only one pair.

As Mehta and Flynn point out, 100-150xBB is prime territory for limp re-raising with these hands to get a better stack-pot ratio. Some players only limp-reraise with AA or AA-KK. Some have a wider range. Not knowing Jay, I would assign him a range of AA-QQ + AKs and maybe JJ-TT + AK-AQs.

Pushing our QQ preflop in response to his LRR is poor. We only get called by AA-KK and maybe AKs. Calling with QQ preflop is poor. An A or K flops 35% of the time. The other 65%, he has right of first action with a pot big enough that he is virtually guaranteed to bet it. We shouldn't be calling 400 preflop and then folding very often when QQ is an overpair to the board.

IMO the answer is folding preflop. I know Bill O'Conner would agree with me. As he says, "Consider the source." Will we be folding the best of it occasionally? Yes. So what? As Kirkrr says "jacking up variance just to break even is a recipe for disaster."

If you can't learn to fold QQ preflop to an UTG limp-reraise from a good player, you are destined to get stacked over and over again with QQ when the preflop action strongly suggests AA-KK. Pretty fishy.

I have seen O'Conner fold KK preflop in the same situation, depending on the player. Folding QQ prelop is easy.

[/ QUOTE ]

post needs more name dropping and/or authority-referencing for me to feel sure that it's valid. maybe throw in what sklansky would say?