View Single Post
Old 10-23-2007, 12:46 PM

Default Re: Why is Paul Running as a Republican?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
elwood,

Are you being deliberately dense? He ran as a Republican because he's not an idiot. Only Republicans or Democrats can be elected to any office higher than County Water & Soil Commissioner.

[/ QUOTE ]

Statists will tell you to work for change within the system. Then when someone does it, they say he's a sellout.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he should work for change within the system and I think he is a sellout for running as a Republican. Those aren't contrary views.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, actually, they are. Like it or not, the two parties are the system and he has to choose one of them.

[ QUOTE ]
Let me put it this way, at the end of the day Ross Perot will have made more of a national impact running effectively as a third party than Ron Paul will have. Further, Ross Perot made more of an impact running as a third-party than had Ross Perot run as a Republican.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ron Paul isn't a billionaire. It takes a billionaire to make a "serious" run against the established parties. Perot spend an estimated $65.4 million of his own money on his campaign, and that doesn't include additional money from donations. And you know what? If Perot had waited to do what he did until a Republican president didn't get the auto-nomination and instead run on the Republican ticket, I bet he would have won! Sure, he made more impact in 1992 than he would have running as a Republican because you can't beat a sitting president in the primaries, but in another year, he would have made a much large impact as a Republican.