View Single Post
Old 10-23-2007, 12:26 PM

Default Re: EDF Cooking Contest--Pumpkin Challenge

APPETIZER: Scallops on Pumpkin Polenta Cakes with a Pumpkin Basil Sauce

These came out really good - better than I expected. The polenta was the best we have ever had, the sauce was really unique tasting (was a bit nervous about the basil and pumpkin combo, but it worked), and the scallops tasted really fresh. The weakest part of the dish was probably the seeds - the spices just didn't work with the dish. I ended up not eating most of my seeds but devoured the rest.

Pumpkin Puree

Cut Pumpkin in half, remove membranes and seeds, and add salt and pepper. Place halves face down in a roasting pan and add some water. Bake on 350 degrees until very tender (1 hour?) Spoon out the flesh and put in a blender. Puree until smooth.

Pumpkin Polenta Cakes

Combine 1/2 cup pumpkin puree and roughly 1 cup water (or whatever looks right) and bring to a boil. Add 1 tbs cream, 1/2 tbs butter, 1/2 tbs honey, and salt. Slowly whisk in 1/4 cup polenta and constantly mix until thickened. This take 15 minutes I think. Add the polenta right away to a flat bottomed bowl and refrigerate or freeze until firm. The polenta should be a couple of inches high. Fry the polenta cakes in vegetable oil until golden brown.

Pumpkin Basil Sauce

Saute 2 cloves of garlic until very light brown. Add 2 cups chicken stock and 1 cup pumpkin puree (from above). Simmer for 10 minutes, then add a couple of tbs of butter. Add to a blender and add some basil and 1 or 2 cloves of raw garlic. Puree until smooth, adding chicken stock if the mixture is too dense. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Spiced Pumpkin Seeds

Boil the pumpkin seeds for 5-10 minutes. Whisk together an egg white, 1/4 cup sugar, 1/2 tsp cayenne, and salt. Add the pumpkin seeds to coat then place on a baking sheet, making sure not to overlap. Place in a 350 degree oven until golden.

Scallops

To add a little spice to the dish, I added some red chili flakes to my usual saute combo of olive oil and butter. Turn the heat up to high and brown the scallops on both sides, until done.

Place the polenta cakes down on the place, top with scallops, and drizzle sauce and pumpkin seeds around.