View Single Post
Old 10-23-2007, 10:59 AM

Default Re: An ethical question

Maybe I got the wrong forum. It is of course online poker.
Note that this applies strictly to a hand you are in. The rules are quite clear on discussing hands you are not in and folded cards etc, a definate no no.

Is it, however, ok to lie and say you have aces when you don't and not ok to say you have them when you do? Seems to be about 50:50 whether you will be believed or not so is it against the rules?
I would really like an answer from someone who knows for sure and I sure as h... don't want to get banned for telling the truth.

In live poker I have seen banter such as 'can you beat such and such' which can lead to 'can you beat such and such then' - a better hand in other words. A well known player beginning with Daniel in fact. While not actually saying what they have they sure get pretty close and still could also be bluffing. So could I. As to getting called from a non-believer, that is precisely what I want but not half the table.
As I said before, I'm happy if everyone folds.

So what is the difference? Lying to get someone to fold and telling the truth to get someone to fold? I guess one could also say lying to get someone to call or telling the truth to get someone to call. Is the former ethical and the latter not?

Tel