View Single Post
Old 10-23-2007, 10:07 AM

Default Re: Low-stakes rebuys: Playing the middle period well.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
For training purposes, sure...but why? Will there ever be a time you don't have access to PT stats? Not using advantages given to you seems foolish to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well... TBH, I haven't really bothered to learn how to make use of PT in tournament contexts. As we all know, you shift gears during the course of a tournament. Let's say I play loose in levels 1-3 with 38/12, tightening up in levels 4-7 with 13/9 and then start playing 20/16 from level 8 onwards. What if an opponent has stats on me from early levels and now encounters my open-raise in level 5? He'd think I'm still playing my loose game from levels 1-3 and base his action upon misleading information, no? How do you use your information? Just taking the easy route and decide your opponent plays in the same manner all the way to the final table?

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, I've found that play generally remains the same in most players. However, you should always learn to take PT stats with a grain of salt. Very few players follow the pattern you indicate e.g.

I obviously don't care how opponents use (or misuse) PT, as long as I use it correctly myself. What I've found most useful about it is e.g. identifying the weak-tight nits; someone with 6/3 stats who raise UTG+1 should be considered to have a tighter range than someone with 15/12 stats. Similarly, aggressive players are fine for resteals. Obviously, these stats can't be read as gospel. However, I think identifying passive players is much harder without PT.

It's also possible to ignore stats besides the current level, but I don't think this is too useful. Previous behavior tends to predict future behavior, with the obvious caveat of good players shifting gears more often.