View Single Post
Old 10-23-2007, 08:18 AM

Default Re: Need shaft/loft advice for driver...launch monitor stats included

I just bought a Callaway x460 driver, and the guy at the pro shop fitted me with a Graphite Design YS-6+ Stiff shaft. He had me hit a 6 iron while he measured my swing speed, which was consistantly around 105 (with the 6 iron). I am a very novice golfer, I have played only a couple times in the last few years but am going to be playing a lot more. I have a pretty good swing, and am quick with it due to playing a lot of baseball.

Looking at the graphite design website it says the recomended swing speed for the YS-6+ stiff is 95-105 and for extra stiff it is 100-110. I only tried the stiff which felt great (but I don't have much to reference that against), but should I go back and try out the extra stiff? Again I was at 105mph with a 6 iron, I dont know what I swing the driver.

I don't know how much I should expect my swing speed to improve in the near future as my game improves. I am 23 and 6 months out of college, pretty strong solid frame, but packed on a little weight due to too much beer and pizza at college, which wont be around too long, so I dont know how much faster my swing will be after shaping up a little. Should I go back and try the extra stiff? If I swung the 6 iron 105 what would be a ballpark on my driver speed? Does it matter if my swing ends up being 5-10-15 mph faster in a year than the suggested for the shaft?