View Single Post
Old 10-23-2007, 07:47 AM

Default Re: Benifits of the straddle

yes there are benefits to it...

1. the straddle combined w/ other plays can create a loose image. some will think u r there to gamble. u can use this to ur advantage later by gettin paid off big when u hit ur big hand.

2. u r a tight player. the table has been pretty loose (good 4 u) but after loosin a couple of players it's been pretty darn nitty (bad 4 u). u can use the straddle to create a couple of big pots and encourage other players to straddle themselves. this will make everyone become a lot looser. on a couple of occasions i've been able to turn a nit table into full gambol. so i know it works.

3. some people straddle so that when it comes around to them they can raise big and take all that dead money from the limpers who put down 2 BBs each. u can use this to ur advantage too. be observant as to how people react to a big raise from the straddler. if it seems to be working try it urself. of course try to come up w/ the minimum amount that will do the trick and it will be a profitable play. also, there's people who like to limp in w/ good hands b/c they're expectin the straddler to make that big raise. if u know there's a couple of players @ ur table that will do this then it's a good idea to straddle. when u get a big hand on one of ur straddles u'll get paid off by one of the nonbelievers who's already waitin for u to raise. it's hard for those kind of people to put u on any sort of hand, especially if they've seen u try the move before.

4. u can also use it to ur advantage to keep the table friendly. if a lot of people at the table r straddlin and they ask me to do it too i almost always do. if i'm the best player @ the table, especially @ one of those tables where players apparently just want to throw $ @ me, i want to keep it friendly. Rek said he's not there for a happy fun gamblin table but he's there to win. well me too. but in that kinda scenario i don't want to be taken too seriously. i want people to think i'm there to just have a good time like they are. i've even bought a person or two a drink to keep everythin "friendly". it turns out it keepin it "friendly" keeps them in donation mood all night long.

i can think of other situations where i've used the straddle but i'm goin to bed now so i ain't writin no more. the point is it is not useless and it should always have a well-planned purpose.