View Single Post
Old 10-23-2007, 07:29 AM

Default Re: Pot odds and tournament theory

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Pescatori 18%

Pescatori last to act on 4th, 20K to call, pot size is 145K. So it is correct to call according to pot odds if he is at least a 14% favorite (20/145). So, I assume the correct decision in a cash game is to call.

[/ QUOTE ]
These last two statements are wrong.

The Independent Chip Model is a red herring. It can mean you should be slightly more risk averse in tournaments than in cash games, but the main problem with your thinking is that there is a big difference between playing poker and playing showdown. In cash games as well as tournaments, you often have to fold when you would be happy to call all-in, when the fact that your opponents can bet on later streets hurts you. Calling doesn't buy the right to go to showdown. It buys the right to face more bets on later streets.

[/ QUOTE ]

This gets to the heart of my question, but maybe I'm being stubborn because I just don't buy your point. Why isn't each street judged independently? If it's good value to call on 4th then it's good value. A call means an investment of 14% of a pot when your hand is worth 18% (bad terminology I'm sure but you get the point). Sounds like a good deal.