View Single Post
Old 10-23-2007, 04:22 AM

Default Re: value betting rivers

I'd bet more on the turn.

If he's got a jack he's calling 130-140 often and if he's on the spade/straight draw that still gives him about 3/1 implied odds to draw.

Your $90 bet gave him about 5/1 implied odds which is too generous. On the river you have about 1/2 pot left behind so if he shoved it'd be really hard to fold. This allows him to get the most when he hits and loose the least when he misses.

You said you were aiming for a specific spr preflop, but since that didn't work you could rethink your bet sizes to make getting it all in on the turn easier. If you bet 70 on the flop you'll have 260 rather than 280 left and the pot will be 230 rather than 190 so a turn push will be much more acceptable. Of course if the ten didn't turn you may not have wanted to push.

As played I dont think your turn bet will have looked like you were prepared to play for the rest of your stack, in which case I think villian would bet the river if he made his flush. With that in mind I think you can still get value from a jack, perhaps just put a teaser of $100 out, he'll struggle not to call that if he's holding a jack.