View Single Post
Old 10-23-2007, 12:58 AM

Default Re: The Official \"Tom Brady re-writes the record books in 2007\" Thread

[ QUOTE ]
vhawk,

not really. This isn't baseball. A QBs job is to execute a coach's gameplan as perfectly as possible. If he does that well, he'll usually have monster stats, sure, but there can be varying degrees of yardage or deep ball completions or whatever due to the gameplan.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right but its still the same thing. Thats why I included things besides just numbers. His goal is still to score a TD on every play (the optimal outcome) but his job is to do that by executing a gameplan. This is also conveyed in the "limiting turnovers" part. But no part of the QBs job involves making a crucial stop on 3rd and 5 or kicking a game-winner from 43 or returning kicks on special teams. In other words, no part of the QBs job is to win games. His job is to pass the ball. Or hand it off. But (barring Daunte Culpepper) we can probably all agree that most QBs are pretty equivalent when it comes to handing it off, so in order to differentiate we focus mostly on the passing aspect. Throw it as accurately as possible, to the most open/furthest downfield receiver, as quickly as possible, minimizing the risk of a turnover. Those are the jobs of a QB. And Brady and Manning do them better than anyone else in football. But at least to this point in history, Manning does them better. I love watching both of these guys. And I REALLY love the fact that Brady got Moss and Welker and Stallworth, because it eliminates the built-in excuse that the Brady guys were going to have at the end of these HOF careers. Now we will see. If Brady really does put up super-Manning numbers over the next couple of years now that he has elite WRs, then he will displace Manning. I think this is unlikely but I'm really stoked to watch him try.