View Single Post
Old 10-22-2007, 10:55 PM

Default Re: Discuss: How to Bluff a Calling Station

Loved the article.

The advice mentioned applies very well for DS tournaments, but in SS sngs it can sometimes be needlessly risky to fire multiple barrels. But SS sngs are full of calling stations and I wholeheartedly agree they can and need to be bluffed. But I believe it can still be done without having to build the pot too much or risk your entire stack.

When you know you are up against a calling station I find the standard continuation bet on the flop to be regularly ineffective and can needlessly inflate the pot to a large % of your stack, leaving you pot-committed. So, my usual course of action is, if I am heads up in a pot against a player and have noted that he/she is passive (position is somewhat irrelevant here, I find), checking the flop and, if the next card is relatively innocent, following it up by by a 3/4 to pot size bet on the turn far more effective as a 'delayed' continuation bet. This seems more likely to result in a fold than a standard continuation bet on the flop. It seems, in the minds of the 'ridiculous' calling stations, they no longer think they have enough time to hit their gutshot or backdoor flush draw and have more of a tendency to fold their weak holding.

Just an idea.
Keen to hear what you think.