View Single Post
Old 10-22-2007, 07:25 PM

Default Re: Around the World trip (6-12months)

[ QUOTE ]
Safety if one of the number one issues on this trip, you can't enjoy yourself if you're constantly looking over your shoulder... so if you recommend a spot, give a little info on its political and social conditions as far as safety goes.

[/ QUOTE ] I imagine almost any place in Africa would require relaxing this requirement slightly. I've been to Morocco, which "felt" fairly unsafe (less safe than Mexico, for instance), but is one of the safest places on the continent (except for recent terrorism).

It sounds like Tanzania and Egypt would have most of what you're looking for.

The countries I've recommended--Senegal, Ghana, Tanzania, Kenya, and Cameroon--are all relatively safe and stable. That's a big part of the reason I recommended them. You can't stray far, though: each and every one of them borders at least one dangerous, unstable country. Spending some time in the capital city of an African country would probably not be the greatest thing in the world anyways. Africa is full of diversity and one-of-a-kind places. Research until you find one that sounds awesome, figure out the logistics, then go for it.