View Single Post
Old 10-22-2007, 05:27 PM

Default Re: How do Americans view Europeans?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't have numbers at hand to back this up, but I am pretty sure that Europeans are increasing their productivity each year faster than Americans are, despite these laws.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not true.

http://bigpicture.typepad.com/commen...uropean_p.html

Of course, that only matters if you find productivity rates to be of particular importance (they're not).

[/ QUOTE ]

How are productivity rates not particularly important? Increasing productivity is the best indicator of an increase in standard of living in a market economy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Productivity is important, but comparing it between countries is a little dicey. If a country has laws or cultural norms that limit the number of hours worked, then a rational company will make sure that the least productive hours, tasks, etc., are the ones cut out. That will drive up average productivity even if the workers are equally productive.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a good point and I don't disagree with you. I think productivity is very important for a country's well being which is why I took issue with the first comment but in cases like France with a 9% unemployment rate and a 20% unemployment rate for those under 25 (This part is of crucial importance) their productivity does need to be looked at through the context of their economy as a whole.