View Single Post
Old 10-22-2007, 05:07 PM

Default Re: For all the \"pro-regulation\" advocates dancing on Absolute\'s head

I think that the sanctions imposed by the WTO will greatly affect what happens with online gambling in US. IF WTO grants IP sanctions, then US will be forced to open online gambling to foreign operators. No other country attempts to regulate or tax operators in foreign countries. Even the recent UK regs and taxes only affect operators located in the UK.
So if WTO really cracks down, it will not accept a law such as IGREA that attempts to regulate foreign online gambling concerns.
Also, I really believe that these state laws prohibiting an individual from online gambling in his own home will be declared to violate the privacy rights under the US constitution. I cannot see how one has the right to gay sex in one's home, but not the right to gamble online.
Of course, Congress can regulate online gambling operators located in US, which is why I doubt that they will arise anytime soon. Most states already have licensing, taxation and other regulations that would apply to any business located in a state that offers online gambling services. I believe that such laws and/or federal such laws will prevent operators of online gambling site in US from being able to compete with foreign competitors.