View Single Post
Old 10-22-2007, 04:36 PM

Default Re: Staking/Make-up question: What to do with lower prize-pools?

FWIW if anyone cares we came to an arrangement I think we're both happy with:

I will pay 50% of the buy-ins for these tournaments, essentially buying back 50% of myself. I get 50% of cashes, plus the rest goes towards make-up/original staking agreement.

FWIW he said he was fine with me playing on my own dime, so this wasn't an issue of me wanting to hear that I can play it on my own dime. He told me I could, but I didn't want to cut him out completely, which was the issue all along as I think I'd feel bad if I got the good end of variance and he got the bad end.

I think the alternative to make-up would be for instance the backee gets 10% of all cashes straight up. That 10% gets added to the make-up figure, so say I cash in a $1k tournament for $21k and I have $35k in make-up currently.

The 21k less the 1k buy-in is 20k profit, which would normally all be applied to the make-up so it'd be $15k. In my example, the backee would get $2k cash, and make-up would be $17k.

This keeps the backee happy because they can see returns even when in make-up, but at the same time it's kind of just like a "loan." When you're not in make-up, you get standard cut, 40%, 50% whatever it is. The % would need to be a little less than the standard make-up deal would be, but I think it's a decent compromise.

And I'm not saying that this needs to be done between myself and my backer, I'm not sure what exactly we will do to restructure the long-term deal, but since I have other income and still play online I don't really need to see immediate cash I don't mind make-up.