View Single Post
Old 10-22-2007, 02:21 PM

Default Re: English Football. (long)

We rarely played continental football. Passing it around the centre backs a few times then aiming a long ball at the strikers doesn't count as that. Continental football relies on players (particularly in central midfield) being comfortable in posession and we simply don't have enough top quality players who are that. Even the likes of Gerrard and Lampard are somewhat lacking in that area. I don't think it's entirely a technical issue, pressure from the media/fear of mistakes at times has just resulted in a scared approach and a desire to get rid of the ball asap which doesn't help at all, particularly in the major games. How often have you seen us resort to camping on our 18 yard line and bypassing the midfield almost entirely when under pressure from any good side?

Lampard I think has been tremendously overrated then underrated in turn. The flack he's getting right now is ridiculous. That said I think a number of times those goals masked a very average or downright poor performance. Gerrard hasn't been that much better, I do think he is a better player though. I'm sure in time he'll end up getting the [censored] booing as well. My comment is more frustration that player of Scholes' talent was so criminally misused IMO.