View Single Post
Old 10-22-2007, 12:56 PM

Default Re: How strong do you play Ace Rag?

Let's assume we are talking early in the tourney when short stacking is not an issue.

The way two players play Arag can separate a winner from a loser. The winner folds Arag and the loser calls raises with it.

Having said that, I do play Arag (late position) when I am against certain opponents, like passive players who generally don't raise. Usually, I play in a limped pot, not a raised one. I also like Arag suited since it can make the nuts. And it can easily flop a 12-outer. Again, it helps if you are against opponents who will stack off easily and who don't go nuts betting the flop and turn.

I actually like pairing my kicker first. If there is not much action and a dry board, and then an A hits these weaker opponents will think they have the nuts with AT, AJ, etc.

The real trouble is flopping an A. This is where you need to read how the action is going down. Keeping the pot small (remember we have position) is a really good idea. Just the other day I called a min-bet on the flop and turn with A5s on a A 9 2 board and won a small pot when villain flipped over TT (yes he limped early with TT).

Also keep in mind that these guys who call raises with Arag are the same guys who will raise with KJ so they are actually making the right call (against their own kind).