View Single Post
Old 10-22-2007, 12:35 PM

Default Re: Around the World trip (6-12months)

Glad to see you guys want to spend some time in each place. I'd recommend getting a dozen countries that you personally find really interesting and exploring them for 1-2 months a piece (or less in certain ones if there isn't much). I'm assuming you don't want to set up base in a city then see the rest of the country while returning back to your home? More like an on the move thing right? If I'm wrong, let me know.

I'd definitely recommend Argentina (obviously). A month would get you a decent overview with any more time you can sacrifice spent in Buenos Aires (a month might only give you a few days in the capital). For a second South American destination, Brasil is an obvious choice, but it is fairly dangerous so I'm not sure I'd do it without being very savvy and knowing what I was doing. Peru & Bolivia for some perspective on the true poverty in S.A. would be awesome and you could get a decent overview of both in a month. Both have good natural sites and of course Machu Pichu.

I'm not knowledgeable enough about central America or Asia to recommend anything, but I imagine a month in Thailand seeing the beaches would be time well spent. I'd also seriously consider India.

Spain & Italy are also huge on my recommended list and both of those would be really fun to travel around the entire country for a month. If I had to pick a third European country (since Schengen visas are for 3 months) I'd go visit France and make sure to see the different parts. Definitely my top 3 European countries.

For Africa, as has been said it is pretty hard. You have to decide what your Africa goals are as the continent has a few separate identities depending on what part you want to visit. Haven't been yet (planning to go next year) so I can't give any first-hand advice.

If you do decide to do Argentina, I can give you a good list of places to go for the time you are here.