View Single Post
Old 10-22-2007, 04:26 AM

Default Re: calvin ayre challenges patent troll to fight for bodog name and $1

[ QUOTE ]
Why was the bodog name copyright infringement anyway, hadnt the company been set up for years?

[/ QUOTE ]

It was patent infringement rather than copyright infringement. Presumably, the people who sued them had a patent on some part of the software that they use to run their website. In most parts of the world, you can't patent software -- its seen as akin to trying to patent a mathematical algorithm -- but in the USA, you have all these trolls who have been patenting all manner of nonsense. Some of it trivial, some of it already existing in prior art, etc. etc. Then they lie in wait until someone builds a business that uses something similar, and when they are making a lot of money, they sue and settle for licensing fees.

In this case, they sued, IIRC, Bodog didn't show in court, so the troll was awarded the win. But because they've got no assets in the USA, the troll went for what they could get their hands on -- ie. the domain name.

If I were the patent troll, I'd do double or quits. Your patent name back plus my two million vs. your two million for the winner of a 25,000 word thesis shoot-out on contract law -- written under exam conditions.

Lets see how big his cojones are then. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]