View Single Post
Old 10-22-2007, 02:10 AM

Default Re: Hand from Villians perspective (dont read if u dont want results)

[ QUOTE ]
I dislike raising the river in this situation. Small raise to 7.5k doesn't improve our odds against a straight chop much (38% vs 44% for calling). So even if he always folds a chop its not much better than calling. Also, as Jason mentioned this player may not fold a straight chop, and there is a small chance of a rebluff. Finally, by raising you are risking more, so a misread in villain's hand range (ie we grossly underestimate how often he has a king) will cost more.

rock,
I think you played the hand well. But just betting the flop in this situation may be better since letting a tough player have a strong idea of your narrow hand range in this situation (and them having position) can make the future streets much tougher to play correctly. Also, depending on the dynamic in this game, it is probably not that likely that Jason will just fire with any 2 cards on the flop since it is 3-way.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't done the math but I'll assume your %'s are correct. Your argument is flawed because EV isn't calculated in terms of %'s, but rather $'s. If you see a +EV play in the form of a 51-49 coinflip in your favor, you'd rather bet $20k on it than $10k.

Note that I actually think calling and raising are -EV so actually folding > calling > raising. However, using whatever reads/logic Strass has behind calling, I'm pretty sure there are amounts we can raise to that make raising more profitable than calling. I understand sometimes, he calls to chop and sometimes he rebluffs us, but not often enough to make raising worse than calling, assuming calling is +EV.