View Single Post
Old 10-22-2007, 12:27 AM

Default Re: The US players market has spoken, and made an informed choice ?

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, I have a threshold of pain for AP/UB melting down. I figure $500 is the most I am comfortable with there, and as long as I still win, why leave? Id love to see the corporation smacked with a big fine, jail time, and a yanked license in the theatre of justice. But my self-interest is only concerned with my material well-being. I can't make Congress regulate, but I can relieve some AP/UB players of $.

I think the poker market is akin to a problem of the commons. Its not the best analogy I know, but its not a free market textbook example either. Higher economics makes my head hurt, its why I dropped out twice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here it is in simple economic terms.

You are a farmer.
You grow a crop.
The market is bad and prices are low.
Someone proposes all farmers plant 1/2 their normal ackerage and thus all will make more money than all planting a normal full field.

You are smarter than the rest of the farmers and figure out if you plant your full ackerage you make twice as much if no one else does the same as you thus destroying the price by over supply.

So do you plant 1/2 the crop and make the average higher profit?

Do you plant a little more just because you can?

Do you plant as much ackerage as you and beg, borrow or steal to maximize your personal profit but do so at the expense of the "common" good.?

Or do you plow your crop under to make up for all the jerks?

Given your statement that since you are making a personal profit at little or no personal risk I can guess at your answer.

The problem is poker players as a whole are too self centered and greedy to ever consider how to act together long enough for all of us to do better.

As soon as enough people leave 1/2 their fields fallow, and a few people notice the few renting the fallow land to plant more everyone plants the maximun and no one makes any money.

God, I hope that was simple and gramtically correct enough for a few people to follow.

D$D