View Single Post
Old 10-21-2007, 11:47 PM

Default Re: Wheeling Island Poker Room *update*

The dealers are very friendly and most are fairly competent they just need more experience with the mechanics of working the game (this is further complicated by the all the extra bells and whistles on the tables...the autoshuffler, the swiping of player cards, etc).

The two main problems are the waitlists (largely caused by the dealers not being comfortable with the electronic panel on the tables yet and the floor just randomly sticking people in seats) and the effing cage/chip running.

According to the floor person I spoke with it's actually the gaming board who aren't allowing the dealers to make change at the table. This needs to be changed, I suggest they start a petition or something.

Until such time as that get changed they ABSOLUTELY MUST figure out a better way to get chips to the tables. I saw one guy sit for 15-20 mins after giving his cash to a chip runner before his chips got back to the table.

Obviously the delay is at the cage (I saw the lady using the calculator too, lol calcuments). I would like to think that part of the problem is the brand new chips which are still rough and difficult to cut/handle, but even with that caveat they're still pretty bad/slow (when I was cashing out I had to stop the lady from giving me too much money...it was only a buck but it's still a mistake she should not have made, if she can miscount in my favor she can also miscount in favor of the house and not everyone pays that much attention when cashing out...I'd recommend you know how many chips you have before you get to the window...thankfully you'll have plenty of time to do this given the line due to the incredibly slow cashiers).

All the same, I had a good time (the first live poker I've played in like a year and a half) and I'll probably become a regular there on the weekends once my workload slows down after the holidays.

jHE

EDITED TO ADD: FYI if you're coming from the east on 70 there is construction in the wheeling tunnel. It's open on the westbound lanes but the eastbound lanes (i.e. going home) are closed and there is a detour through wheeling (it's not horrible just a few blocks/lights a left turn and you're good). Supposedly they will be working on the westbound side of the tunnel in the next couple months so there will be a detour coming in as opposed to going out.