View Single Post
Old 10-21-2007, 09:03 PM

Default Re: English Football. (long)

I think there are a lot of similarities here with whats going on with US basketball. I think of the international level, the game changed quite a bit and England(and the US) have been caught off guard.

I don't know a ton about English people or their mentality, but I have heard that English people are stubborn and proud. Perhaps that is why they haven't changed?

In regards to US basketball, most involved with the NBA and the national team have asked immediately, why are we no longer the top dog in the international game, and I think steps are being made so that the US reclaims that position.

Now, in regards to the England National Team. What I find so crazy about this fall from grace is that two of the most successful teams in the Premiership, Arsenal and ManU, play the continental style of play. How the managers and coaches in England can't see that this style of play is what is successful is beyond me. As you say, they should be preaching technical ability and possession. There are some teams in the EPL that I simply cannot watch. TBH, I would rather watch the worst team in MLS play than the worst team in the EPL. Its just long balls non stop.

This whole notion of using heart and gusto is so silly. You constantly hear this coaches talk about it in interviews as if they should have won because they fought hard and weren't afraid to get stuck in. Heart never won you anything but a heart award.