View Single Post
Old 10-21-2007, 08:15 PM

Default Re: How do Americans view Europeans?

[ QUOTE ]
I would venture to say that a good percentage of Americans could not point out Europe on a map. And I can say with certainty that a sizeable majority of American could not point out, say, Sweden, Norway, the Netherlands, or any other of a number of European countries on a map. The insularity of American culture is, in my experience, something that is difficult for Europeans to fully grasp.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your average European have limited knowledge about where the different US States are as well, so this is by no means a one-way street. A lot of Europeans overestimate the knowledge of geography among fellow Europeans, and at the same time being almost certain that Americans are way mor eignorant about the same topic.

I believe most europeans would score terribly if you gave them a map of the US and asked them to name and place the various states. This despite the fact that Europeans are exposed to a lot more American culture and media than the other way round. I guess Texas, California and Florida would be the 3 states most people would get right, just like Americans would know England, Spain and Italy.