View Single Post
Old 10-21-2007, 05:11 PM

Default Review of the heads up play

Great video! I’ve played limit heads up online a couple of years ago, and have a different perspective of it nowadays. Now I only get the chance live when a game breaks down and the opponent gets stubborn and wants to play me 1 on 1. Great analysis by JoeTall. It would be interesting to have a parallel video from DeathDonkey’s perspective. I have some notes with times for reference. Obviously I get to see both hole cards, so I may be biased, but take this as it is.

Notes: [DD = DeathDonkey, Joe = JoeTall (not to get confused with JT and Jack-Ten, heh) ]

Interesting that DD was playing ATC style (did he ever fold pre-flop? Note: yes three times - 32o twice and 42o once), while Joe had periods switching back and forth between playing ATC and folding some hands pre. Not saying it’s right or wrong, just interesting.

1:30 - Marginal flop peel by DD with JTs on 53K flop with backdoor spade draw to a Joe check-raise. Standard?

11:20 - Surprising cap by DD OOP with 75 on 3J4 with just a gutshot vs Joe’s J6. Seems Joe is looking up anything after his flop 3-bet.

11:37 - Didn’t understand why you didn’t like flop call with 94 on 3T9 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], and thought the turn was a definite bet. Overcards, gutshots and flush draws get free shots with turn check.

16:40 - Marginal peel by DD with K7 on 29A flop facing a check-raise, but this time with a backdoor nut flush draw.

19:20 - Nice read by DD to check-raise turn with just a 7 reading right through Joe’s flop check “knowing” he didn’t turn an A.

24:10 - Surprised DD didn’t play K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] more hard on flop with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] flop. Thought it might be worthy of a flop raise at least, and a potential cap. Hides the times you actually have an A and play that hard as well.

27:20 - Given previous action, Joe made a very questionable river value bet with J6 on K36 7 Q board after DD checked river with K7. I was going to say DD played it badly by checking the river, but then Joe played it even worse by betting it! Good fold by Joe in the end though.

33:40 - AJo not 4-betting preflop in position. I think it’s ok as a change-up, but it is a standard 4-bet.

45:00 – Don’t mind the turn check-raise attempt. Didn’t like the river check with AA by Joe. I thought that was a clear value bet. I guess he thought he was inducing DD to bluff the river.

50:25 - Surprised by DD check-raise river with QQ and pay off 3-bet on Joe’s trips. I thought he was playing it safe on the turn, by check-calling turn and river. Since Joe was possibly representing a draw on the flop and turn, I thought a turn check-raise was the more appropriate street to charge the potential draws. Calling river 3-bet was definitely marginal as I hadn’t seen a big street 3-bet bluff yet by either player.

52:00 - Didn’t like DD’s check on turn when he gets 2 pair with Q6 giving a free card after DD check-raised the flop. Value bet, value bet. Joe is looking you up light, but not betting the turn on a pure bluff as far as I recall, and may be prone to folding a small pair on the turn to the check-raise.

56:30 - DD another marginal flop peel with 97o with Q26 board after Joe 3-bet DD’s pre-flop raise. Did pick up a marginal backdoor diamond draw on turn.

Otherwise, well-played by both participants. Came away with some things to learn there on the rare occasion I play live and the game breaks down to two. Too bad they don’t let you straddle on the button like brick and mortar, huh?

$54 won by Full Tilt (before rakeback). Game selection, guys [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

Garland