View Single Post
Old 10-21-2007, 03:59 PM

Default Re: Personal / dating / whatever life situation general advice thread

[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to break up with my girlfriend. This is the first serious relationship I've gotten myself into and will also be the first heavy break up. Been with her about a year, has been incredibly fun at times but we've argued too much for the last month and a half, which turned me way off to her. I attempted to do this all ready twice. One time was a two-minute talk that resulted in her calling me the next day (I would have never called her) and us getting back together. Then I tried again on the grounds that I didn't want to have a girlfriend, still trying to maintain that I liked her, but when trying to break up she convinced me - and I realized - that there's no real reason to break up right now. Before I was 50-70% sure I needed to end it but now its more like 80-90. She's real nice, very cool and fun, I just don't want her as a girlfriend anymore. How do I do this while hurting her feelings least? I don't really want to say something like "I just don't like you anymore" if I don't have to, but maybe I should(?). Any advice on breaking up/the whole thing?

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't have to convince her. Just make up some vague excuse (telling her you don't like her is probably unnecessarily cruel), tell her you want to stop seeing her, and you're done. Stick to your guns.

Or go the Costanza way and cheat on her and let her find out.