View Single Post
Old 10-21-2007, 03:52 PM

Default Re: another NEW Online U S Gamoing CARD SITE

This is interesting. The above site also offers backgammon as a "game of skill" and provides a court ruling:
http://www.gamecolony.com/backgammon_game_skill.shtml

This is the first I've seen of any court ruling classifying backgammon as a "game of skill" (i.e. not "gambling"), and the first skill games site I've seen citing this ruling to justify offering the game.

The biggest point of contention in considerations (both informal discussions and court cases) of whether or not poker is a game of skill is the explicit randomness in the shuffle of the cards. Many people/judges see this aspect as inexorably putting poker in the "gambling" category (skill matters but if you get bad luck in the cards dealt it won't matter "enough"), while the same party might not appreciate the less explicit randomness in, say, a golf tournament. But backgammon has just as explicit of a random component as poker does in the rolls of the dice!

Shouldn't the ruling (actionable ruling, as far as this skill games site is concerned, meaning that people are using Paypal to play backgammon online in the US as we speak) of backgammon being a "game of skill" despite explicit random factors be a tremendous precedent for poker's case?