View Single Post
Old 10-21-2007, 01:29 PM

Default Re: X-Post: poker pro - hardest job there is?

The old guys used to say that poker was "a hard way to make an easy living." The psychology implied in this statement is the essence of OP's problem--well, aside from the fact that he isn't getting enough respect from his girl friend.

When we first start playing poker as young people we have enormous amounts of energy and resiliency. I used to play until the wee hours of the morning, come home out a couple of thousand dollars (which was a lot of money for me in those days), but catch the midday traffic the next day and be on the freeway home before the ten o'clock news up five or six dimes.

But as the years passed it became obvious that I missed the sun and the greenery. I recall watching some middle level professional (and some of my old buds as well) years later when I was just played recreationally. And what I would see was rather depressing. This guy, I'll call him Rick, still played eight and ten hour days. He still came in with all his jewelry and his styled hair (to look like a tourist) and he sat tall and bought a couple of racks of chips. But you could see that Rick absolutely hated to play. He constantly berated the other players and the dealers. He whined a lot. He seemed to get his good hands cracked a lot more than chance would allow. He had more losing sessions than he used to, and he played without spark or ingenuity. Sharp amateurs and up and coming pros took shots at him. He was sinking and he knew it. He was up tight and miserable.

Now that IS a hard way to make an easy living, and the hard part is the expectation that it should be easy. When it's not and it's no longer fun, then, yes, professional poker is tough, very tough.

Don't let it happen to you. Take some time off. Play different games. Take time to study. Go back to basics. See the sun and the ocean and the rivers and the trees and get laid regularly. That will help your game. And above all don't take it as your god-given right to an easy win. It's not easy. You have to constantly renew yourself because if you don't, they WILL be gaining on you.