View Single Post
Old 10-21-2007, 08:56 AM

Default Re: X-Post: poker pro - hardest job there is?

I am the manager of a dispatch department for a concrete company. While it's not as tough as some jobs I dare say it's much harder in so many ways than any decent poker pro could have it.

There's not one hour in the day where I havn't started my day out. Sometimes I go in at 11 at night sometimes 3 in the morning but for the most part I start around 6 am.

I go home when it's time to go home. Sometimes it's after 10 hours work, 16 hours, every once in a while 8 or 9.

My job is to pretty much be disliked by everyone. I have 50+ drivers that every day I have a few mad at me for sending them home too early while a few others are furious with me for keeping them too long. Our salesman and customers get pissed at me when I don't have trucks just sitting around for them because they forgot to call their order in early. I have upper management mad at me if I have too many trucks sitting around. At times my dispatchers get mad when I work them long hours or have to have them come in on a Saturday when they aren't normally scheduled to work.

I've taken butt chewings that a human shouldn't have to take on a weekly basis.

It is also VERY stressful when you have so many jobs with a limited number of drivers. Then even with that limited number of drivers some of them have to leave for apoointments, getting sick, hurt, etc.

Like I said there are harder more stressful jobs but I'd say usually they're compensated a little better and there's no way a pro poker player is unless they're a terrible player .