View Single Post
Old 10-21-2007, 02:15 AM

Default Re: PLO tourney hand

[ QUOTE ]

Very impressive. Im going to take an example from Holdem. There is a raise in ep. a mp person calls. hero gets 44 on button and calls. Flop comes Kdtc4d. players 1 and 2 get allin. It is early in a tourney, should hero risk his tourney life for the possibility of being a chip leader early on? I would not fold a set in holdem if winning the pot would substantially increase the likelihood of me making money in the tourney.

In our omaha hand, hero is not calling with just a flush draw or with non nut straight draws. Hero is calling with a hand that is fairly live with the knowledge that winning with good to marginal coinflips early in a tournament is one way of improving chances that he goes deeper in the tourney.

[/ QUOTE ]

A better analogy from Holdem would be if hero has KsQs on a JsTs5h board early in a tournament and there is a bet and a raise to him, but I understand your point.

I understand the importance of having a big stack in a tourney because all the big prize money is at the final table, but in general you don't want to make -EV decisions to get there. Hero will still have a decent stack if he loses, but it might be a -EV situation (as the simulations showed).

There are many things to consider when calling off a lot of chips with a marginal hand. Is his competition very weak? Can he wait until a better situation to get his money in very good (remember, he is at the beginning of the tourney)? What does he know about his opponents... what is the chance they have a set here?

The answers to these questions may tip his decision from a marginal call to a fold. I don't think this is an insta-call.

As I already stated, I would probably call here. But if it was a very poor table and it was very early in a tourney I might fold.