View Single Post
Old 10-20-2007, 07:39 PM

Default Re: The Biology of Beauty

[ QUOTE ]
You're definitely right, and it's sort of amazing that people in a college class (people who are theoretically interested in learning) can be such bad thinkers. But of course they yell and moan and claim strong opinions anyways. You didn't go into much detail, but I feel like I have a good hunch into what types of arguments and attitudes they held.

It seems like you basically have to have a poor intuitive sense for how existence works if you don't think attraction evolves biologically based on very real criteria. Cultural stuff might account for some very superficial differences, but you could raise me anywhere and as long as I'm a human being dog [censored] still smells like dog [censored], and palm trees blowing gently on a calm autumn sunset is still beautiful. And Lindsay Lohan is still really hot even if she's nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is wrong, imo. Yes, to you dog [censored] smells like dog [censored], but that doesnt mean it is some inherent truth. Ever smell a "foreigner", that smelled horrible to you, do you think they smell themselves? do you think they smell bad? Ever been to africa? your cologne that you spent 100$ on smells terrible to them. It isnt completely cultural, but to say that "there are no cultural influences on what people think is beautiful" is completely ridiculous.

what do you find attractive:

heres a nice page on female beauty:

http://theaestheticelevator.com/2007...ugh-the-years/

cultural influences play a huge part, do you find fat chicks hot? well they did in the 1700s.