View Single Post
Old 10-20-2007, 04:34 PM

Default Re: poker pro - hardest job there is?

[ QUOTE ]
Ok I misunderstood. Sorry.

It isn't hard at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know how to edit quotes, so I will just address your points in order.

1) I've only been playing 3 years, but in that time the games have only gotten tougher and tougher. Not sure what games you play, but I thought this was widely regarded as fact.

2) Playing online is considerably more difficult than playing live, I don't care how far you have to commute to play live. Commuting doesn't make the actual job difficult, per se. Online I play 500 hands an hour, live - people play about 35-40 hands/hr. Online is much more mentally intensive.

3) Respectability doesn't have much to do with difficulty. Kinda off-topic.

4) I did mentioned in my first post that I didn't want to compare physical labour type jobs with being a poker pro. It is a different kind of difficult - I have worked a very hard laborious job before, you can't compare the two. Setting your own hours has nothing to do with the difficulty of the job... I'm sure most jobs are available in "part-time" roles, or limited hours. So since I said most poker pros play 30hrs/wk or less, lets compare apples with apples and look at other jobs where you work 30hrs or less - so probably any other job, in a part-time position.

5) True, merit based. Which adds stress. You can't go into work and slack off because you know the salary comes in regardless - you have to be at your best whenever you work. Poker doesn't have office politics, that is true... not sure how hard that is to deal with, never been in that situation.

Most poker pros have savings and do not "need" to win constantly. If you ask them if there job is difficult, I'm guessing most would say yes. They sure wouldn't say, "well, I have savings, so I don't need to win constantly... soooo, it's pretty easy".

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]