Thread: Living in Italy
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2007, 04:21 AM

Default Living in Italy

I've had the late-night inspiration to live in Italy sometime in probably 2009 (unless I can make it work sooner, which is unlikely as there are other places I'd like to be first, namely Barcelona).

That said Italy is very big and I've only ever been to Rome. I know for certain I would like to not live in Rome, but I'm not sure where exactly would be best. I'll be visiting Venice for a week next year and it wouldn't be out of the question to take a side trip at that time to whatever place I may eventually decide I'd like to live in.

The only real requirement is that I can find an Italian tutor as I definitely have interest in learning the language while I'm there; I will try to make an effort to learn what I can before coming as well, though I'm well aware living somewhere is a hundred times better than anything else.

I am into the outdoors, but also have a love for the big city amenities and nightlife options that come with that. I wouldn't rule out a small city, but there would have to be something about it that makes it worth giving up the perks of a big city. For instance, in Australia I'll be living in a small beach town, but it has easy access to awesome surfing right outside my apartment and a big city, Sydney, is less than half an hour away.

Just looking for any general suggestions about good cities to live in and any other tips or bits of knowledge people wish to impart on me in the very preliminary stages of my planning process. Thanks.