View Single Post
Old 10-19-2007, 06:17 PM

Default Re: Being told \"professional poker doesn\'t contribute to society.\"

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How many jobs actually contribute to society?

[/ QUOTE ]

probably like 99% of jobs. off the top of my head, i can't think of a single "real job" that doesn't contribute. examples?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I haven't read this whole thread but was going to respond without reading more but this quote is a perfect entry point.

Fundamentally I disagree with this. I work in the oil and gas world. I am engineer who helps design control systems that help oil and gas facilities run properly and run safely. I contribute to society, but I contribute in a negative way. I think a lot of our jobs that contribute to society contribute in a negative way.

I know I am going to need to expand on that, so I will. I am not an activist or an environmentalist but regardless of that I fully understand that the culture we live in is raping our planet and for what? Economics. So do I contribute to the economic foundation of society? Yes, I do. Does a poker player? No, he does not. Do I contribute to the environmental foundation of society? Yes, I do - in a negative way. Does a poker player? No, he does not - in anyway. So although poker players do not actively contribute to society they also do nothing to harm society either, so they are somewhat neutral.

As small of a distinction as that is I think it is an important one.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a really important point here.

Same if you worked for the Tabacco industry.
Same if you worked for the fast food industry.
Same if you worked for the Alcohol industry.
Same if you worked for the forestry industry.
Same if you worked for the junk food industry.

If any of us worked for any of the companies in these industries, we would have fallen under the "productive" / "contributive" category.

Yet all of those industries are actively destroying something or people's lives are being sacrificed so that we can enjoy some of the freedoms we have today.

That is why it is really important to define what the hell "productive" or "contributing" really is. If you are a "productive" member of society by being the vice president of a tobacco company but your company helps thousands of people kill themselves every year, are you really contributing?

If I worked for a major weapons manufacturer and helped them create a faster missile whoms sole purpose is to kill human beings faster, under this thread's definition of productivity and contribution I would qualify, but do I really contribute to society?

[/ QUOTE ]

END OF THREAD!!