View Single Post
Old 10-19-2007, 05:13 PM

Default Re: Being told \"professional poker doesn\'t contribute to society.\"

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How many jobs actually contribute to society?

[/ QUOTE ]

probably like 99% of jobs. off the top of my head, i can't think of a single "real job" that doesn't contribute. examples?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I haven't read this whole thread but was going to respond without reading more but this quote is a perfect entry point.

Fundamentally I disagree with this. I work in the oil and gas world. I am engineer who helps design control systems that help oil and gas facilities run properly and run safely. I contribute to society, but I contribute in a negative way. I think a lot of our jobs that contribute to society contribute in a negative way.

I know I am going to need to expand on that, so I will. I am not an activist or an environmentalist but regardless of that I fully understand that the culture we live in is raping our planet and for what? Economics. So do I contribute to the economic foundation of society? Yes, I do. Does a poker player? No, he does not. Do I contribute to the environmental foundation of society? Yes, I do - in a negative way. Does a poker player? No, he does not - in anyway. So although poker players do not actively contribute to society they also do nothing to harm society either, so they are somewhat neutral.

As small of a distinction as that is I think it is an important one.

[/ QUOTE ]
So if the place you worked Blew up...thered be no effect? Gas and oil...dont countries go to war for this? I think its funny for people to downplay their lack of contribution...theres an awesome tradeoff...MONEY...lets you provide for your family. Theres just too many of you guys losing alot of money, and then to think it also is completely useless to society as a whole makes you feel even worse!

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? Are you retarded or something? I make money at poker and always have.

I make money for oil and gas companies. If the place i worked at blew up and everyone died there would be some consequence - big oil companies would make a little less money until they found a replacement contract company to accomplish their plundering for them. There may be a little less money in the stock market - big deal.

Also, I dont' really understand what the [censored] you are talking about. Countries go to war over oil. that is not an argument that oil contributes positively to society. In fact, I would say that is a counter argument taht agrees with the thesis of my above post.

ps. BTW - wtf does jesus have to do with any of this?