View Single Post
Old 10-19-2007, 04:56 PM

Default Re: Staking/Make-up question: What to do with lower prize-pools?

Clearly you aren't understanding the situation.

Do you not see that it would be incredibly demoralizing to play in a tournament knowing you see no cash unless you win? Do you not see how this will affect my play?

Do you not see how it inherently leads to me wanting to gamble it up and go for first, which is obviously bad for both me and my backer?

Yes, I have to get out of make-up, but the issue is the make-up was made by playing bigger buy-ins, and 1 decent cash in a bigger buy-in and the make-up is gone. OTOH, in a small event that's only say a $300 buy-in where the prize pool isn't even $100k total, only the top two places really make a difference.

It's an inherent problem with being backed in a variety of buy-ins, and it's also a major problem with backing arrangements to begin with. If I'm down $15k (I think that's about what I'm in make-up, mostly from the ME), why would I want to play a $300 tournament where 2nd place isn't even $20k?

Don't you see the problem here? I can play online and get in hundreds of dollars worth of tournaments on my own bankroll with major +EV for me.

If I instead play a $300 live tournament that I have to get first to even see anything out of, well, that's just not a logical choice. Yes I understand eventually I have to get out of make-up, but also understand while in make-up 100% of wins go to my backer and when my largest win barely gets out of make-up, well psychologically it just isn't a good idea for myself.