View Single Post
Old 10-19-2007, 03:35 PM

Default Re: What currency should I keep my bankroll in?(one more time)

I think two issues are being confused here. There is the currency your poker room accounts are in, and the currency that you play at the tables with.

For example, at Crypto sites, my account is in US $, but I can play at tables in $, GBP, or Euros. When I play in a table at a different currency, the money is converted at EXACTLY the same rate when I sit down and when I leave the table. I'm fairly sure you will find this is standard practice at sites that offer tables in multiple currencies. This is why Betfair tells you they do not alter the rates more than once a day...this is what matters when you're converting at a table. You shouldn't have any problem with changing currencies at tables, AFAIK.

The second issue is what currency your poker room accounts are in. When I first started playing, I made the mistake of setting up my Neteller account in Canadian $. Every time I deposited to or cashed out from a poker site where my account was in US $, I was getting nailed for exchange vig. This is fairly standard...if your eWallet, bank account, CC, or whatever else you use to move money on and off poker sites is in a different currency than your poker accounts, you will more than likely get hit with exchange vig either by the poker site, your bank, or the CC company. Ideally you want all, or at least the majority, of your poker accounts to be in the SAME currency as your funding method(s).