View Single Post
Old 10-19-2007, 01:59 PM

Default Re: We win (AP Scandal v. 27)

[ QUOTE ]
Potslammer is just a 2+2 spammer account and is not actually an account on AP.

Re: KGC - You guys should understand what the KGC is. They essentially have three relevant businesses/hats: Absolute/UB [the upper management is very intimately connected with Chief Norton], their formerly toothless audit group that audits everyone but is now very quickly growing a spine (employing Gaming Associates to audit AP), and a big server farm that happens to host Stars and a bunch of other places. Being located on the server farm in and of itself doesn't mean a site did anything wrong, because that farm may be the most convenient place to run a site from in the world. Further, at this point, I have reason to believe that there are so many alarm bells going off at KGC that they won't be asleep at the switch again for a very long time - they didn't like this little surprise any more than we did, since it's a nasty hit to all their core businesses.

In other words, Stars etc. have nothing to do with this, but will now be closely scrutinized by people with a lot more at stake, anyhow.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think if the heads of KGC have any sense, they will throw AP under the bus if there is any truth that the scandal goes all the way up to upper management (and I think the likelihood that is the case is reasonably high). If they can look at this objectively, they have to know that AP is now damaged goods, and if the corruption involves upper management and wasn't just an inside job they likely won't be able to recover much.

OTOH the longer they refrain from that after they have completed their investigation, the higher chance sites like Stars will just stop doing business with them at all. That is, as Andathar suggests, they have to worry about serious impact to their other business units. And if AP is going to lose value, the other units take on much greater importance.

Now, whether or not they have the wisdom to do this, I can't say. So far we have seen AP's comic failure in containing and controlling the situation, which doesn't speak well of the overarching organization at all. The smart thing to do is to distance KGC from AP, which starts with a cold, impersonal investigation that is brutally honest in its findings. I guess we have a week or two before we know how the investigation turns out (if we are lucky). This all probably depends too much on whether KGC believes clients like PokerStars will go ahead and sever relationships in order to avoid being tainted by the association.