View Single Post
Old 10-19-2007, 05:04 AM

Default Re: Being told \"professional poker doesn\'t contribute to society.\"

[ QUOTE ]
Take one line worker out and there may be minimal social impact, I agree. But now try taking out all the line workers. Now how about all the doctors and nurses and police. Your example only works on a micro scale. There are also some job markets that are already short of workers, so each one you remove cannot be replaced easily, and the social impact is much greater.

[/ QUOTE ]

We're individuals, making individual decisions, being judged for individual contributions.

But if you want to go down that route, the whole industry of litigation could be done away with and society would be BETTER off. Remove one lawyer, it makes no difference because it's a drop in the ocean and others can move in to fill the gap. Remove all lawyers though, and cases will be more often decided on merit, while eliminating the burden of paying a [censored] ton to 'keep up with the joneses' just to be given a fair shot in court.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not defining a pro as a winning player. I am defining a pro as someone who has no other occupation aside from playing poker. I am saying that poker would survive without any 9-5 fulltime poker players.

[/ QUOTE ]

And im saying that any time there is an opportunity for someone to make enough money to sustain themselves, there will be people who choose to do so.