View Single Post
Old 10-19-2007, 02:14 AM

Default Re: Does professional poker contribute to society?

[ QUOTE ]
3) Stop with the "pro's provide entertainment for the average guy wanting to play a game of poker" argument. That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. If someone wants to find a game online there are thousands of games going. I'm sure they would have no trouble finding a game if pro's didn't exist.

And entertainment? Most online pro's rarely chat. It's the average joe playing online that chats and provides an entertaining atmosphere.

[/ QUOTE ]

Online, many (if not most) midstakes limit games would not run without props on all but the largest sites.

And i dont think it's a fair statement to say that people prefer to play against bad players. You're framing their preferences how you want, in the context that they arent rational decision makers.

I think that the best analogy is credit card debt. People are vaguely aware of the price they are being charged; they can usually find a better price if they shop around, but the convenience of the product coupled with the perceived value of it stops them from caring.

I wouldnt say that someone who carries debt on a credit card when they would qualify for a line of credit at 6% annually is being screwed. Credit card companies are offering them a service for a price, and they are choosing to pay for it. They are better off than if the credit card company did not exist.