View Single Post
Old 10-18-2007, 02:48 PM

Default Re: bipolar disorder and poker

this is very helpful ty, i was a little embarrased but felt like it would be good to tackle this head-on since i am aware of it, i also figured there were lots of psychology majors and such who would enjoy the discussion. to give a little background im in my 20s and was diagnosed bipolar-1 over 10 years ago. i spent about 7 years on meds but at one point was severely overmedicated, i also had a drug problem in my teens which made things a lot worse.

when i grew up and got a job and a family i felt like i wanted to try life withought the meds so i stopped them all (against medical advice) about three years ago and havent had too much of a problem since, having responsibilties to my family and staying off drugs has kept me pretty much under control. however, i still cycle regularly and have clearly defined manic days and depressed days. I do have a problem with moving up limits which im trying very hard to stop, and i also find that im far more loose-agressive while manic and might lean towards loose-passive while depressed although im always aiming for TAG. I also am very likely to pull an all-nighter and play too tired if very manic