View Single Post
Old 10-18-2007, 11:19 AM

Default Re: Updated Cliff Notes On Absolute Poker Scandal (18th October)

This has been a fascinating read.

Personally I think it's pretty obvious why Absolute isn't participating / talking in these threads. They don't know what happened, either, and anything they say is going to be plastered all over these forums and P5s, and poker rags/blogs everywhere. The people involved probably weren't issuing memos about what they were doing.

It's a pretty standard operating procedure to say "We're investigating and can't tell you anything until we're done." I don't think that is nefarious or disingenuous. I think it is the height of discretion. If they try to confirm/deny every accusation that is leveled they would spend all their time countering. Plus it would be a waste of time. People believe what they want and they don't really care about 'official' denials anyway.

They need to investigate and get a complete picture so they know how to deal with it. But I'm willing to bet that even if they DO find something their party line will be, "We found impropriety, and we dealt with it." They'll need to close off whatever holes the investigators/auditors find, but the whole thing will be summed up in a basic statement like that. They might include a statement saying monies were returned if that happens, since that would be something that increase player confidence.

In the meantime their marketing department will be coming up with some promotion to make sure their players don't leave.