View Single Post
Old 10-18-2007, 10:20 AM

Default Re: Why do people cite surveys?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You know what is even more funny? That you cite a survey proving your point that surveys are not reliable to prove a point.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know, statistically, 85% of statistics are made up on the spot.

Seriously though, and I admit this, even though I'm guilty as well. Surveys are cited because, if you really look hard enough, you can find a survey to prove anything. Take religion for example. If I were to stand outside of a church at around 12:45 on Sunday afternoon conducting a survey, I could probably get a very skewed reading on the question "Do You believe in the Genesis theory of creation?"

I interview 2000 people coming out of several different churches on several consecutive Sundays, and I have a survey that I can cite that proves that "97% of Americans believe in the Genesis theory of creation" with a sample size of 2000 interviews.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why survey research is almost a discipline of its own, and why academic openness (as always) is vital in surveys, so you can know what means have been done not to get skewered results, and what means may give skewered results in your sample etc.