View Single Post
Old 10-18-2007, 07:45 AM

Default Re: shorthanded sit\'n\'go play

Thanks for replying, I'm sorry if it's not pleasant to read. I couldn't think of a better way to write this. It was quite boring to write too, but I really thought it might be instructive when I started it. I'll try to make up for it in my future threads.

I agree that the hands you comment are questionable. I'm not so sure there's a clear play there. Here's what I was thinking at the time.
Hand 9 stud. I don't think the 2 has trips either, but I think the J-8 has a better pair. He's been quite tight and passive, so even when he limped, I thought he was very likely to have a pair, that's why I didn't complete 3rd. On fourth, I'm getting 4:1 odds, with 8 outs and 42 card left so my odds against improving are 4.5:1, and someone might still catch better than me. So I don't think it's such a bad fold. Maybe it's weak-tight to assume that J8 have a pair here, though.

Hand 7 stud : I would limp that hand full ring, but here I was mostly trying to find an opportunity to steal the antes, so I could breath a little. Besides, villain was showing a K and would reraise if I limp almost every time, while he might fold to a bet. Maybe I was wrong here. I don't know if stealing the antes was that important.

Hand 13 razz : I know villain is very agressive, but he has called my bet and I brick while he's showing 7-6. Is it really correct to call a bet on fourth when you brick and your opponent doesn't seem to, and the pot is not huge ?

By the way I forgot to mention, in case it's relevant, that it was a $10 SNG on Full Tilt.

And now for something completely different : the stud 8 hands. Stud 8 is not my strong game, so I might have made more mistakes here.

1. 2 brings in, 9 folds, I complete with 8-6-7, J calls, 2 folds.
Fourth J catches a 6 and I catch a K. Both check.
Fifth I catch a J, villain a 5. I check he bets, I fold.
I think I really misplayed that one. I'm probably folding the best hand. I'm down to 957 with stakes 250/500 ante 40.

2. 2 brings in, 3 limps in, I fold A-8-J, villain is showing an A.

3. 4 brings in, A completes, 8 calls, I fold 9-7-J.

4. I bring in with K-8-6, 9 completes, T and K fold.

5. I bring in with 9-K-5, 6 completes, 9 folds, K calls, I fold.

6. 4 brings in, 7 folds, A fold, I fold A-2-K. Is that a good fold ? I'm very likely to have the best hand here, right ? My stack is 647 at that point. Is that a good hand to risk my whole tournament on ?

7. I bring in with 9-Q-6, everybody folds.

8. 2 brings in, I see a J and a K after me and I fold 7-K-T.

9. 3 brings in, K folds, Q folds, I fold K-7-5. Should I try to steal here ?

10. 2 brings in, 4 calls, villain shows a 3, I fold 3-T-5.

11. 3 brings in, 4 calls, villain's door card is a J, I fold 9-T-5.

12. 3 brings in, 6 folds, villain has a 5, I fold A-7-J.

13. I bring in with J-T-3, 8 completes, 8 calls, K folds, I fold.

We've now reached the end of Stud 8, and I'm down to 412 chips. I won't bother you with hold'em.

Once again the question, is pretty much the same. Did I pass on stealing opportunities here ?

How do you loosen your starting requirement in these shorthanded, shortstacked situations ? What kind of hands suddenly looks better ? I'm especially wondering about stud 8.