View Single Post
Old 10-18-2007, 06:26 AM

Default Re: MIAWWISUTOC review: \"Silver Streak\"

"I'd better go get my boss."

"You'd better do something, you idiot, because in ten minutes you're going to have 200 tons of locomotive smashing through Central Station on its way to Marshall Field's!"

(The reason that line is so cool is, you have to say it all in one breath. You can't stop for a breath in the middle. It takes practice. Try it.)

EDIT: Remember the "Actors who sing their roles" thread? The guy who plays Chief Donaldson in this movie (he had that awesome line quoted above) belongs on that list.

CALDWELL: (frantic) I didn't know they were federal agents!
DONALDSON: Well, let's see what you do know.

You've got to hear him "sing" that line to know what I mean. He starts out high in volume and pitch, staccato. As each word comes out, the pitch lowers, and the staccato softens. It really works to calm down the frenzied Caldwell.

The actor's name is Len Birman. I can't find anything else he was memorable in, but his voice sounds really familiar. I'd swear he did voices on Scooby Doo or SuperFriends.

He sings every word of his dialog in "Silver Streak". Like when he finds out that the guy he's talking to on the radio is the Assistant Controller.

DONALDSON: (to himself) Assistant? (into the radio) Get me your boss!

The change in cadence, pitch, tone, everything, works in every line this guy speaks in this movie. He uses his voice like few others. I love this guy.